Monday, March 15, 2010

Finding Time to Work

I have a day job. I have to do something to pay the bills, and I'm thankful to have the job I have. But lately, in addition to my day job, it seems that I've made a million other commitments to do other things as well. The result? No time or energy to paint, no new paintings. And I'm really ticked off at myself because three people have asked me for my portfolio in the last couple of months, and I have nothing new to show!

I'm in conflict. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

This happened once before, and my solution then was to institute Sacred Saturdays. I put everyone on notice that I was not available to do anything on Saturdays because I would be in the studio. It worked beautifully. People just automatically started inviting me to do stuff on other days, and I felt good about claiming my own time.

So it's high time for me to bring back the Sacred Days, but this time I'm going even further. I'm putting my friends and family on notice: Saturdays and Thursday nights are now both sacred. Come summer, Saturday mornings will once again be devoted to plein-air painting and Thursday evenings to studio work.

This is it. I have to get serious and put my studio time first, just like it was a "real" job... which it is!!!

How do you handle time conflicts?

7 comments:

  1. I also have a day job and family and community obligations and I have to block off certain days of the week as work days so that I stay disciplined and focused. If I don't schedule the time, art doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not very well....lol. I also am outside the home. During the day though I can take something to sculpt, which doesn't take the concentration or space that painting does for me. You are right though, we need to look at our art as a job as well. I like the idea of scheduling, unfortunately life happens in ways I can't always predict or plan for. Love your paintings, so soft and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something I struggle with in my creative pursuits as well. And schedules and I do not get along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's hard fitting everything in, especially when you have a day job. I love the idea of a Sacred Saturday! I try to spend a little time in the studio every day, even if it's just fifteen minutes. Every little bit counts! I also find that making lists helps big time. It lets me prioritize the things I want to do and the things I have to do. It also solidifies the ideas that are floating around in my brain. Perhaps one day I will have the luxury of not needing to work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sacred Saturdays sounds like an excellent idea. It will probably have to be Fridays for me though, weekend soccer games have priority in my house! Between soccer, karate and volunteering, lately I've been wondering if it's even physically possible for me to be a professional artist - there just aren't enough hours in the day. Having a designated time for art that is understood by everyone seems like the answer I was looking for, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a classic dilemma, which I also just blogged about 15 minutes ago! I am in a similar conflict. Sacred days are good for now. Baby steps. Ideally, everyday is a sacred day--but then you wouldn't have your job. Catch-22.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This shows just how much I have put my art on the back burner, I have had this marked since you posted and am just now reading and responding. I too have a day job, grateful I do, but boy do I get sucked dry. I know how much time it takes to create, I do it everyday at work. Lately it seems I am drained dry. I need so badly to put into practice again my nightly excursions to my studio and spend an hour or two painting. When I do, I am happier, thus hubby is happier and all is right with the world. Wow, I think I just wrote another blog responding to yours! I feel your pain and as God as my witness I won't not paint an evening again (fists raised in the air)Hey...I'm from the south...what can I say?

    ReplyDelete